[TYPO3-dev] relaease plans for typoe 4.2?

John Angel johnange at gmail.com
Tue May 8 08:58:15 CEST 2007

> I can imagine a middle ground here; e.g. a setup where, since 'new' TS
> will be php objects internally, those objects' properties could be set
> directly from templates...might be interesting.

Exactly. Here is the example:

temp.menu < HMENU
temp.menu {
 entryLevel = 1
 1 < TMENU
 1 {
     noBlur = 1
     wrap = <ul>|</ul>
 }

 stdWrap.if {
  value.data = register:count_menuItems
  isLessThan = 1
  isGreaterThan = 5
 }
}

lib.menu < temp.menu

becomes something like:

$temp = new HMENU();
$temp->entryLevel = 1;
$temp->noBlur = 1;
$temp->wrap = '<ul>|</ul>';

if(t3lib_div::intInRange($temp->NumberOfItems(), 1, 10, 0))
{
 $page->templavoila['menu'] = $temp->Render();
}

We get syntax and error checking + it is faster. Simple as that.

> "Has to"? This subject comes up 3 times a year on this list like
> clockwork, but I think it almost always makes incorrect assumptions a)
> about the comparative simplicity of other CMS tools, and b) about
> /who/ the people are that TYPO3 is designed to appeal to are, and what
> TYPO3's primary purpose is.
>
> For (a), it's definitely true that you need to be an expert to use
> TYPO3, but this is also very true of other CMS tools.

Why are we looking to weak sides of other CMS tools? We are trying to
making something better?

> Having said that, TS /does/ badly need the possibility of syntax
> checking and error-reporting; I'd say that a more predictable syntax,
> and instant feedback about the /nature/ of any errors would solve the
> largest TS/TYPO3 learning problems we have at the moment.

Why are we wasting time of that? PHP has all of that? We should focus on
CMS, not developing alternative language.