[TYPO3-dev] relaease plans for typoe 4.2?

Tapio Markula tapio.markula at atwebteam.com
Tue May 8 08:16:48 CEST 2007

JoH asenau
> Why? - I came from a designer's background when I started with TYPO3 a few
> years ago. My programming skills where HTML, CSS and JavaScript only. I had
> never used a real programming language before and hardly knew any PHP.
>
> So the reason for my decision for TYPO3 was TypoScript.
> Because it's some kind of a shorthand for PHP.

In practise TS is much more readable than PHP
because normally you need to use just dots and curly brackets
as separators - like in CSS.

Errors in syntax don't cause disasters like tiny errors in PHP
but the disadvantage is missing syntax check.

(You can trigger a whole
> bunch of PHP functions with just a few lines of TypoScript) _and_ because
> it's so easy to learn.

in many cases really fast
What is complex, is if-statements. But PHP programmer can create his
own funtions, if he wants.

The main advance is that when you need to configure a plugin,
you don't need create new plugin version but configure just by using TS.