[TYPO3-dev] set_no_cache is bad. What's next?

Elmar HInz elmar.hinz at team.MINUS.red.DOT.net
Sat Mar 31 21:12:11 CEST 2007

>> You will quickly find out that even many experienced developers still have
>> problems with proper caching. Do you expect the average programmer will
>> ever be able to do proper caching with tslib_pibase?
>
> If we tell him why, then yes.

In the big TYPO3 jungle of tutorials, docs, articles, etc. the new
developer needs monthes to find this relevant piece of information. I
prefer solutions that work securly without reading additional docs.

> We're once again at the subject of compatibility. I agree completely that
> tslib_pibase should be replaced with something better, and apparently you
> are already doing that.

Lib/div a complex framework of many classes. It is for bigger,
professional projects and experienced developers. It's not a replacement
for the simple one class library the hobbyists and beginners need.

> But meanwhile, do not expect that many extensions will be adapted to this
> framework within a recent amount of time. Extension authors will hopefully
> fix a few lines, but most of them will probably never switch their whole
> plugin to a new architecture.

Quite right.

> In 3 or 4 years, after the new framework may be ready and stable, and the
> kickstarter has been adapted for it, we may be happy that the problems are
> solved. But this doesn't solve these problems _now_!

In 3 or 4 years people will have moved the extensions to T3V5. I hope the
lib/dib framework will shorten the migration path for extension build with
it. The naming conventions already nearly match with those defined by
Robert a few monthes later.

Dmitrys proposal is very good as first step for _now_. I repeat: It is
possible without bigger problems, because you can set no cache in the
pages backend form. Customers can go on using the old extensions as long
as they want with one click.

Regards

Elmar