[TYPO3-dev] Let's rate!

Sudara Williams sudara at web-crossing.com
Wed Mar 28 12:24:54 CEST 2007

I posted an issue on the bug tracker concerning extension quality that some of you guys might be interested in, though it seems like the TER portion of the bugtracker is a graveyard.

http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=4789

Basically, from a developer point of view, the usability of the EM and the FE listing could be much much better.

I can imagine more ratings would help (just like looking at the # of downloads), but what I imagine would help more are instantly knowing:

1. Are the extensions templates written in 1992 HTML standards or in xHTML?
2. Is there language in the PHP files or is it broken out into locallang files?
3. Is there HTML in the php files?
4. Is it templavoila-friendly?

More off topic from ratings, but 100% related to extension usability and quality - The situation with the manuals is really far from ideal and should be changed ASAP. For me: 50% of the time the manual is useless. 25% of the time they are next to useless. 75% of the time I *could* add something to help the next person, but they are not globally editable, so the manual stays useless. There is a wiki, but it is not the 'first-source' of extension information that everyone is reading. Keep it DRY!

Allowing for more community-oriented and editable content (like ratings, globally editable sources of help) would help me follow the Typo3 ideal of sharing. I even want to edit TSref to make the English more clear and give better examples and I cannot! (remember, I'm talking about the document everyone reads, not the wiki.)

Cheers to making a better Typo3 experience and Greetings from Innsbruck, Austria!
Sudara