[TYPO3-dev] Request for cleanup of typo3 database schema

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Tue Mar 27 12:04:46 CEST 2007

Peter Niederlag schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Martin Kutschker schrieb:
>
>>Peter Niederlag schrieb:
>
> [...]
>>>

>>>As you can see the JCR supports XPath and SQL by definition:
>>>http://www.day.com/maven/jsr170/javadocs/jcr-1.0/javax/jcr/query/Query.html
>>>

>>>Of course some convenience wrappers/methods might be useful on top. :->
>>
>>Weeeeel. What does JCR do when the unerlying DB does not support XPpath?
>

> IMO very simple: the CR has to handle this. The data is not even
> necessarily stored in a DB. All of this is taken care of by the CR.
> That's why it is so powerfull IMO.

But it means you have to write your own SQL query parser, etc. Which in
turn means your writing your own DB. That's not powerful but stupid,
because you have to reinveent the wheel.

I'm fine with a DBAL in the JCR-API as we have that too. But emulating SQL
queries or doing them yourself on top of flat files, etc is *shrug* ...

I'm old fashioned - I want my direct DB access, not 200 layers in between.
Especially as we're currently discussing in other threads DB finetuing of
DBs, it's extremely irritating if SQL in TYPO3 5.0 is so "remote" from the
admin and developer.

Masi