[TYPO3-dev] Joomla - GPL bleibt GPL

Felix Eckhofer fe at studioneun.de
Sat Jun 23 16:37:55 CEST 2007

Hi.

On Saturday, 23. June 2007, Elmar Hinz wrote:
> PHP is an interpreted text script and people agree that it has to be
> GPL, when it's obviously, that it is written to use GPL libraries.
>                ^^^^^^^^^
> TS is an interpreted text script as well. I argue that it has to be
> GPL, when it's obviously, that it is written to use TYPO3 GPL
> libraries.     ^^^^^^^^^

I was always wondering how something like this could ever be enforced:
Everyone is free to develop a compatible program that is able to replace
the original GPL'd component. Therefore, as soon as someone
develops "OpenTypo" under a more permissive license, no extensions
would face this requirement any more?!

Anyhow: After reading a few hours on gnu.org I have to agree with you,
Elmar. TS is probably just as much GPL as PHP extensions are, because
there is hardy anyone using TS just as a language (this.is.some.random
= value) but together with "bindings" to Typo3 (foo.bar = HMENU).

Sorry for interrupting :)
felix

--
Studio 9 GmbH Usability now!
http://www.studioneun.de

Geschäftsführer: Christian Hinreiner
HRB München 131 331, Amtsgericht München