[TYPO3-dev] Any bugfix coder for DAM available?

Fri Jul 13 19:01:47 CEST 2007

Andreas Balzer wrote:

> Hi!
> Elmar Hinz schrieb:
>   > There is so much truth in "ruhte".
> Come on! He did a lot and we should say thanks. But to all the people
> here in this thread: yeah. it seems to be a general problem. What about
> a public system where something like a SVN is used for every extension?
> registered typo3.org users could contribute and the extension author or
> someone else could integrate patches into the extension package.

I'm sorry. I can't share your enthusiasm there. But you are right, it mainly
reveals an old structural problem. TER and SVN are still organized in a
way, that even key extensions depend on single persons. There is a high
risk in this and a lot of disadvantages for the whole community of T3 users
result from it. We not only need technical changes in this point, but also
a change in culture, how we maintain extensions in common.

One reason why few people take up longer responsibility for extensions is,
that extensions are simply undervalued by the community. Although good
extension components are as important as good core components it already
starts with the naming "core" vs. "extensions". That degrades developers of
extensions, even if they regularly do the more demanding jobs. They work
out new possibilities and solutions. But it's not only in the naming but in
the whole spirit.

The development of new features may be motivating in itself, but it is not
motivating enough for a single person to maintain the extension thereafter.
In this second phase the motivation is on side of the community to use the
extension and to patch it where necessary. But easy ways how to patch
foreign extensions are missing. Maintainers of extensions are not honored
enough by the community. The culture to maintain extensions in small
groups, to secure ongoings when one person drops out, still waits to be
established.

Regards

Elmar