[TYPO3-dev] Cream editor

Sat Jul 7 23:46:02 CEST 2007

ries van Twisk wrote:

> Hey Elmar,
>
> I only use vim on remove servers to quickly edit a file,
> and I think the only key I know from the top of my head is / (search
> if I remember correctly),
> quite /q and write /w (overrule with !). That's all I know about vim.

In vim you should know at least to others: * and .

 *: Find all occurences of the word below the keystroke.
 .: Repeat the last action.

Used in combination for search and replace it's the most powerfull
invention, I have ever seen in editors.

> My bad memory can't remember
> all shortcuts and keys, and I never seen a menu in vim as-well :)

Well you need to call gvim or vim -g to get the menu. Certainly not on a
remote machine.

> What can I say... I will keep on using Eclipse I think, it has more
> tools then any other
> IDE I have seen, I know that vim is not an ide....

Indeed. Eclipse has a lot of tools, buttons and menues. 90% of them hinder
me to quickly find the 10% I need. :-)

> BTW: I fully agree with you statement that if V5 is late..... I think
> it will happen.

Let's hope it happens inside the community, if it happens.

Regards

Elmar