[TYPO3-dev] Cream editor

Sat Jul 7 21:50:10 CEST 2007

Juergen Egeling wrote:

> * Elmar Hinz <elmar.DOT.hinz at team.MINUS.red.DOT.net> [070707 17:08]:
>> The cream editor is based on the fast and mighty vi(m), a famous veteran
>> from the 1970s. The programmer reengineered the user unterface. It feels
>> in most aspects like a modern editor now without giving up the speed from
>> the 70s and the features collected over 3 decades. That's at least the
>> idea.
>
> If I read http://cream.sourceforge.net/ it is not an editor, but it is
> a configuration of VIM. So nothing very new to expect, if you already
> know your vim.config ;-))

Hi Jürgen,

the interface feels absolutly different, because all the key bindings and
menues have been exchanged. IMHO it is also shipped as independent package
and not only as a configuration for vim. I expect that also a lot of
scripting on the configuration level is involved. For the experience of the
user it doesn't make a difference, if the develper has changed the code
itself or elaborated a completely new setup of the configuration.

It's a similar relation like debian and ubuntu. You can argue that Ubuntu is
nothing else than a debian configuration and repacked and shipped in
independent production cycles.

If V5 is late I fortell the day when someone takes TYPO3, exchanges all the
outmoded templates and content elements against a smaller set of modern
ones and adds some new sexy TS "objects". That would be a very different
TYPO3 and could become a very interesting product.

Regards

Elmar