[TYPO3-dev] auto-installer support

Rowan Crawford rowan at sumaleth.com
Mon Jan 22 13:10:57 CET 2007

Hello,

I handle the TYPO3 installer for Installatron (http://www.installatron.com/)
and I'm wondering if I can talk someone into adding auto-installer support
for 4.1.

At the moment, to auto-install TYPO3 our installer has to jump through all
sorts of hoops, and we don't include upgrading at all.

I'd love to simplify the installer, and be able to support upgrading.

It basically just needs a way to perform an install and an upgrade without
user interaction.

For installing, the Installatron installer (and I assume this would apply
for other auto-installers) would collect information like install location,
database details, admin password etc, and then install the software (extract
archive, chmod stuff, edit config file, execute a php file over a socket,
edit a table cell or two, those sorts of things) basically at the click of a
button.

For upgrading, the upgrade would do something like extract the new archive
over the top of the install (retaining old config files), re-chmod stuff,
execute a php file over a socket, and cheerfully report a successful
upgrade.

Is there any possibility that this sort of installing/upgrading might be
made possible in 4.1?

Installatron currently manages something like 10k-15k TYPO3 installs (that's
an estimate), though with more than one million users with access to
Installatron I think that usage rate would be a lot higher if we had a
cleaner install process, and especially if we were able to support upgrading
through Installatron.

Any possibility?

Thanks,
Rowan.