[TYPO3-dev] Solution for TYPO3 backend access via SSL Proxy

Henning Pingel henningT3 at henningpingel.de
Sun Jan 14 22:50:28 CET 2007

Christian Kuhn schrieb:

 > I dont understand why typo needs any handling for this at all.
 > All my Backends are ssl-enabled on my vhost servers not using
 > typo3-logic but mod_rewrite to make it transparent for the user.

Hi Christian,

Thank you for posting your mod_rewrite solution!

First of all I have to say that I didn't think of solving this problem
using mod_rewrite. I think if the problem can be solved within PHP why
don't we directly solve it there and avoid involving another technology
to work around the inability of TYPO3 to work with reverse proxies?

It's hard for me to tell what disadvantages one has using the
mod_rewrite solution without having tested it myself. I have two few
small ideas (ignoring the security related regards that Andreas
mentioned in his posting):

1) The backend uses the proxies IP address for the backend user session
instead of the backend user's real ip address. The real IP address is
lost. All backend users seem to use the same IP address.

2) From a performance perspective it would be interesting to see if the
mod_rewrite solution uses more CPU time than a PHP solution.

If you like please have a look at my tutorial regarding this topic. I've
worked quite hard on it this weekend:

http://www.henningpingel.de/TYPO3-Backend-Via-SSL-Proxy.124.0.html

Let me know what you think.

Best regards,