[TYPO3-dev] Page and List Ajaxed

Andreas Balzer typo3 at andreas-balzer.de
Sat Feb 24 00:01:42 CET 2007

Martin Kutschker schrieb:

> Basically I agree, but ... We went along til now not even bothering
> about older versions of standard browser (eg IE 5.5).
Yes that's true. But we might should think about them again too. As long
as it's shipped with (Windows 98), Windows ME, Windows 2000 and some
early versions of Windows XP it might be important for some companies or
customers. But supporting IE is an other thing.. (but at the end it
means accessibility..)

> ... I am suprised to hear that some users are successfully using the BE
> without a screen device.
Yes, it's really possible. But there are some problems which makes the
way to reach the aim very difficult.

> I'm interested to hear about what would really help them. What about the
> frameset, the really ugly old-style html etc. Are these things issues or
> are current readers good enough for that?
A frameset is not really a problem if you're using a good program or
device. But of course it's bad, as the programs (i just continue saying
programs but i do mean braillereaders too) have to switch from one page
to an other. So it would be very nice to get everything on one page and
structure all the different options with fieldsets and clear headlines
(h1-h6). But then you have the next problem: How to manage everything
without frames and avoid using ajax for those kind of users. One answer
is using iframes but the best one would be offering a BE design, which
works with standard links. So something like a 'fallback' would be nice
and should be applied, if javascript is not available on the users machine.

> IMHO a standard website should be usable for everyone. OTHO the BE is so
> complex that I'm willing to have either different UI or a couple of UI
> config vars that enable or disable certain features.
Having a different UI is a problem. As you know T3 had two different
UI's (the classic and alternative). If you have 2, you have to manage
both if you want to add a new feature. My propsal is to split the skins
from the skin engines. If T3 can use a new skin engine, that is
completly divided from the actual skin and only offers certain things as
a pagetree and a button system, etc... it would be able to have a skin
for both or 2 different skins, but with the advantage that there is only
one main part to adjust. The skins could automatically be changed by the
skin engine.

  >> But I want to get T3 better,
> We have a shared interest here.
nice :)

Greetings
Andreas

BTW: Back to main topic: In terms of usuability: it might be good to
offer a possibility to switch of the standard module navigation
completly and just use those tab menu. Maybe the nice ajax ext can be
used with skin_grey2 so that skin_grey2 uses the same ajax technique..
You might want to ask Tapio.. ;)