[TYPO3-dev] Page and List Ajaxed

Andreas Balzer typo3 at andreas-balzer.de
Fri Feb 23 15:31:14 CET 2007

Martin Kutschker schrieb:
> Andreas Balzer schrieb:
>>
>> Second is some major thing.. What about people with disabillities? Is
>> it possible to work with your ajax driven module even if the user is
>> using a screenreader or braillereader? I don't think so. (But I
>> haven't test it too..)
>> Well, you _must_ find a solution if you haven't done yet.
>
> Why does he must do it? As it is now, it's his extension.
Well most people here don't talk about having this feature as an
extension, but as a core feature. Therefore, it has to be compatible to
the customers browsers. You can't just decide 'Hey, I have some great
thing. It'll break the output of only a few browsers, so just a few
hundred people will notice, that their new T3 version is not usuable
anylonger.'

> If there is
> some consensus to integrate this into the Core then *someone* should
> take accessibility into account.
Well if "*someone*" does it, it'll probably not be done at all. And if
the (extension) author does take care about, you can make sure, that the
result is well thought and not only a wild mixture of different code
segments delievered as a thousand and one XCLass extending exts..
> But honestly, is the current BE useful
> with a braillereaer? I doubt that.
It is. Or at least some projects for disabled people use it.

>> Third: It's nice to read that you are all so facinated by this
>> feature. We are too (if I can say that without asking the others ;) ).
>> We means in this case the HCI group / or HCI team. However: Before
>> such a feature comes into T3 it should be tested for usuability. It
>> would be nice if you can announce your feature in the hci list.
>
> Did you test the thing?
Yes.
> After figuring out that you can drag those
> special icons around, you'll love it.
What 'special icons' other than those of the pagetree do you mean?
> At least somedody did a thing and
> did not ponder about some theoretical braille reader issues.
First: It's not theoretical! Second: Why not just say that Opera is
theoretical? I would say, that there is an equal amount of people using
braillereaders or screenreaders compared to the amount of people using
Opera..
> I haven't
> seen any output out HCI yet.
Maybe you just didn't look. But the nice dashboard that Kasper is
coding, the quick search (that will probably come to the top right of T3
BE) and many other features (like grouped list module entries) were
introduced in the hci list. If you look into the postings by (i guess it
was) Jens Hoffmann, then you'll see, that there is a pdf guide with more
than 100 pages of things that will probably come into T3 4.5 and the
versions before.

But yeah. Most developers aren't interested in HCI things, because they
are focused only on coding and not on things like marketing, usuability
or accessibility.

>> Well I hope I didn't say anything wrong or disappointing, but it's
>> really important to test things for usuability too. Not only because
>> T3 4.X is meant as a usuability branch.
>
> It sounds more your're disappoimted because somebody was fatster then
> you and got some applause from the crowd.
Well this is absolutly not the case ;) I'm active in the hci team and do
many design things for several T3 projects. You know, i design icons and
  think about on how to get ideas into reality.
I didn't start yet to code for T3 at all. But I want to get T3 better,
so I focus on things like HCI...

>> So some last private words: I don't want to wait for your feature!
>> Please, i mean _PLEASE_ get it into the core.. :D I think it's really
>> a feature that gets T3 to a higher level.
>
> Oh...
Right

> Masi
Andreas