[TYPO3-dev] Bug or disturbing Feature $this->cObj->IMAGE

Chris Wittmann [Swift Lizard] chris at swift-lizard.com
Thu Feb 1 17:06:14 CET 2007

Hi guys and girls,...

last night i had a little debugging session on Typo3 witch nearly costed
me about 5 yearsof my future life time ;-) ...

during this session , because i thought it had to be my fault, i found a
disturbing bug / or anoying Feature,...

can someone please explain to me why it is not possible to use
$this->cObj->IMAGE with image files in typo3conf/ext/my_ext ??

To my mind it would be nice if one sets up an extension that he provides
some static Images for his EXT for FE in lets say
"my_extFolder/static/images/" so that you got those images by default,

but for some reason, and i did not get why someone set that up, it is
not possible cause $this->cObj->Image works only with files in
"fileadmin" or "uploads"  even if i set up "addAllowedPaths" with the
right path,...

very anoying, and as a good "typo3" - Devoloper I first thought i might
be to dump, but after all debugging i found out that it was not my fault,..

perhaps someone should fix that,... if i find some minutes, maybe i can
provide a patch for that someday,...

Additional i found out that in TS something like
"plugin.tx_myext_pi1.imagefile.1" is possible and the Extension gets it
without any further problems,... but ...
"plugin.tx_myext_pi1.imagefile.0" is ignored at any time,.. is there a
reason for that ? to my mind we are talking about arrays right ? so why
is "0" ignored at any time ? wouldn?t it be nice if it wouldn?t be
ignored while parsing ts for Plugins or stuff like that ??

Just my two cents ,...

perhaps some got an idea about this two points, may be i lost someting
or did not see it yet,...

solong

chris