[TYPO3-dev] Google eMail accounts for your domain

R. van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Mon Sep 25 14:32:46 CEST 2006

Espen Svebak wrote:
> We are just in the process of implementing Google apps for your domain,
>
> and would be interested in such an extension.
>

>> I think it looks much more professional as a school
>>

>> when you provide email addresses under your own domain.
>>

>> Also what if a name already exists on Google??
>>

>> Should a student have it's name like : p.peters123 at gmail.com?
>>

> Google lets you provide email accounts under your own domain.
>
> Similar named accounts on gmail wouldn't be a problem.

That is cool that you can run it under your own domain,.

Still.... I will have the 'big brother is watching you' feeling. Not to
mention
they will properly throw a couple of ads on the screen again....

I think I am just negative, and don't trust them to much...

>> I also think when I look at www.gmail.com, I think it's a horrible
>>

>> user interface design.
>>

>> I seriously think that any school, university and company should
>>

>> have it's email policy there, not relying on others service. But that
>>

>> is personal.
>>

> We really don't have the resources or the knowhow to run everything
> ourselves.

I think any self respecting school or university should really.
I know a couple of universities, as well as smaller schools.
And they always have a IT budget. IF not, then it's
time to free up teh budget for it.

Just MHO.

>> At least I don't want my students say 'But sir, gmail was down!!!'.
>>

>> About creating such extension (it can be useful under some situations),
>>

>> you might suggest your school to sponsor such a project?
>>

> We could help in sponsoring parts of it at least.

Ries van Twisk
Freelance Typo3 Developer
=== Private:
email: ries at vantwisk.nl