[TYPO3-dev] WARNING: Is Prototype affecting the inbuilt JavaScript Array and Object types?

R. van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Fri Sep 15 01:02:52 CEST 2006

Elmar Hinz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> prototype is a famous powerfull library and we currently discuss if it
> should go into the range of extension that is supported by the extension
> coordination team.
>
> Yesterday Peter Klein gave a serious warning not to use it, because it
> could damage other javascript code by directly altering the core objects
> of javascript.
>
> If this is true, it could be a big failure to introduce prototype for
> TYPO3, because we could run into such a bunch of problems like with the
> XCLASS confilicts on the javascript level now.
>
> Searching the web for the terms "prototype and conflicts" you will
> quickly find dozens of articles covering this problem.
>

> So what are your personal experiences?

My personal experiences using prototype on the FE didn't gave us any
problems.

> What is your knowlage about this problems?

None, since I didn't have these...

> How important do you estimate it?

Fairly, however prototype and scripto.... might be important enough to
change our code if possible.
They contain quite a number of really userfull functions not to be
quickly overlooked.

I didn't see Peters warning, I did see problems on the net... However
quite a number of people
like to bitch about others software in any case...

Search for '<anylibrary> and conflict'. I think mostly libraries will
conflict with some
other library. The question is can we adapt our library towards something
we want to be compatible with?

> What would you advice?

Investigate... ask peter klein, he has experience on the subject.

> Thanks in advance
>
> Elmar

Ries van Twisk
Freelance Typo3 Developer