[TYPO3-dev] WARNING: Is Prototype affecting the inbuilt JavaScript Array and Object types?

Wed Sep 13 16:05:12 CEST 2006

Hello,

prototype is a famous powerfull library and we currently discuss if it
should go into the range of extension that is supported by the extension
coordination team.

Yesterday Peter Klein gave a serious warning not to use it, because it
could damage other javascript code by directly altering the core objects
of javascript.

If this is true, it could be a big failure to introduce prototype for
TYPO3, because we could run into such a bunch of problems like with the
XCLASS confilicts on the javascript level now.

Searching the web for the terms "prototype and conflicts" you will
quickly find dozens of articles covering this problem.

So what are your personal experiences?

What is your knowlage about this problems?

How important do you estimate it?

What would you advice?

Thanks in advance

Elmar