[TYPO3-dev] workspace question

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Wed Sep 13 09:37:27 CEST 2006

ben van 't ende [netcreators] schrieb:

 > You will probably have to use page versioning, anyway if you
 > want to change the order of elements. A down side here is that also the
 > id of the content elements change when you publish or swap.

Why? Technically I could be auto-creating (I have auto-versioning enabled)
two new versions of the elements that are swapped. No need to make a page
version. So I can also keep my element ids.

> Lately I haven't seen many messages about workspaces, which makes me
> wonder how many people use it.

Without offence to the coders, I think that only very, very few admins set
up workspaces.

It's complicate to set up with proper permissions (db mounts, file mounts
issues). There seem to be bugs or at least unexpected behaviours with page
permissions and configuration. Too me many parts of the UI have rough edges
(I recently found a bug that discloses pages to editors;
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=4207) including complicated and
non-localized error messages.

 > 4.5 might be a good opportunity to rework the concept.

There are quite a number of bugs which should be addresses in 4.0.3.

And I'm content with minor tweaks and enhancements in 4.1. I have filed
quite a bumber of small issues that would enhance the overall experience of
workspaces. Some I could do my self but I really would like to see the
couple of major bugs fixed by the original authors.

Masi