[TYPO3-dev] workspace question

ben van 't ende [netcreators] ben at netcreators.com
Tue Sep 12 21:31:13 CEST 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a page with two contet elements. I have created them (and the
> page) and published all of them. As elemnts AFAIR. Now I get this error
> when I try to change the order of the records:
>
> Errors:
> 1: Move attempt failed due to workspace restrictions: Record could not
> be edited in workspace: Online record was not in versionized branch!
> Could not insert record from table "tt_content" in destination PID "813"
>
> I'm at loss what record is not in the versionized branch. I have not
> created a branch and I don't think that I have created a page version.
>
> I have now edited one of the content elements. No I get the "Versions
> found on page, no "Page" versioning possible" warning message. But that
> wasn't there before.
>
> Hm, after some fiddling I decided to create manually a "page version".
> Now I can change the order again. But how can I get out of this mess
> when I disable page versioning?
>
> And please, how can I explain any user what the first error message
> means? It is completely incrompehensible and not helpful at all. Let
> alone that it is not localized.

Hi Martin,

The online record meant here is the page record. And actually it is an
insert as changing the order actually means "cutting and pasting". The
error massage here should be more like:
Action Failed! Parent record (813) should be versionized to allow his
action!

I have been doing lots of tests with workspaces months ago and this
problem you mention was also a problem I faced. We have been discussing
a way around this with Kasper and Dmitry at the time. Dmitry has some
good knowledge of the inner workings of workspaces. What you would want
is understandable, but to need extensive changes to workspaces to make
this possible. So not possible at the moment. You will have to go with
the concept as it is now and think of a way users can deal with it in a
proper way. You will probably have to use page versioning, anyway if you
want to change the order of elements. A down side here is that also the
id of the content elements change when you publish or swap. One major
thing is that you will always have to go to your workspace manager to
publish records. In a lot of cases the user that edits a record he or
she would also want to be able to publish it right away. A publish
button with a record when a user is in a workspace (and if the user has
rights to publish) would make workspaces a lot more usable. I agree very
much on the error messages. To an admin they may make sense, but not to
the average user.

Lately I haven't seen many messages about workspaces, which makes me
wonder how many people use it. 4.5 might be a good opportunity to rework
 the concept.

gRTz

ben
--