[TYPO3-dev] Setting default language / iso-8859-1 to utf-8

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Fri Oct 6 09:31:17 CEST 2006

John Angel schrieb:
> Hi Dmitry,
>
> Cannot use utf-8 chars in default section of XML language file, because
> Typo3 recodes everything to iso-8859-1.
>
> It is important to have UTF-8 chars in default language/section, because I
> don't want to use table 'pages_language_overlay' but 'pages'.
>
> Please check needed patches in http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=0002673
> (my
> post at 04.10.06 10:54).

Do you actually read what Michael Stucki and me (in bug #2673) and Dmitri
Dulepov write?

And here is an important info for everyone:

The fact that TYPO3 encodes locallang.xml in UTF-8 does NOT mean you can
use every Unicode character for any language. TYPO3 still expects that a
UTF8 string in locallang may be recoded to the "native" charset of the
language without any loss.

eg Cyrillic within "de" is not possible.

This will only be possibe when TYPO3 switches an UTF-8 only BE. But beware
a UTF-8 only BE means performance loss for any non-UTF-8 FE. This might or
might not be a problem. IMHO it is not a real issue as UTF-8 support is
widespread.

Masi