[TYPO3-dev] Setting default language / iso-8859-1 to utf-8

John Angel johnange at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 12:33:15 CEST 2006

> The fact that TYPO3 encodes locallang.xml in UTF-8 does NOT mean you can
> use every Unicode character for any language. TYPO3 still expects that a
> UTF8 string in locallang may be recoded to the "native" charset of the
> language without any loss.
>
> eg Cyrillic within "de" is not possible.

Why making such limitations? What's the purpose of it?

> As Michael explained, "default" section is always English. Normally you
> need not utf-8 chars there.

There is no reason to limit default section to English, also.

> Set BE to UTF-8. This will allow you to use UTF-8 chars in 'pages'.

Of course I did that, but it doesn't have anything to do with garbled chars
in localang.xml.

The complete story is very simple: to change default language to whatever
people want. Currently it's hard-coded to English. No reason for that.