[TYPO3-dev] Open-XChange vs. Kolab

Dimitri Tarassenko mitka at mitka.us
Thu May 25 21:52:14 CEST 2006

Christian,

On 5/25/06, Christian Jul Jensen <christian at jul.net> wrote:

> > real life, a U.S. business that would need to have several BE logins
> > in TYPO3 will most likely have Exchange.
> And probably the same in denmark and rest of europe. But in my pov it still
> doesn't make it the job of the TYPO3 community to provide tools for it.

I think you opinion is too politically driven here. You are providing
tools for the people, not for Exchange or Kollab.

> > (http://www.typo3.com/About.1231.0.html). And yes, I do know how many
> > people run legitimate software, which happens to be around 78% for
> > U.S. -
> Impressive, I didn't read enough to know how the survey was made, but I
> would be very suprised if is true that only 26% of the danes that own a
> computer has unlicensed software installed.

Given the fact that BSA is for software industry what RIAA is for
music labels (and therefore not exactly an unbiased party), I would
expect the real piracy rates to be even lower than those reported by
them.

> (disclaimer: I actually don't know for sure if this is the case with
> outlook/exchange, but it is for sure with the rest of the office suite. If
> it is possible to sync thorugh Ical or similar. great)

Not quite the case. Most of it is either LDAP, or IMAP or other
publicly available standards (with slight Microsoft quirks that have
been long discovered by Samba/Thunderbird teams, I believe). Your
argument is still somewhat valid, though.

> I think this is it for me, it's been fun to debate with you.
> Have a nice weekend.

Same here, and have a nice weekend too!

--
Dimitri Tarassenko