[TYPO3-dev] Open-XChange vs. Kolab

Christian Jul Jensen christian at jul.net
Thu May 25 18:58:07 CEST 2006

Dimitri Tarassenko wrote:

> On 5/25/06, Christian Jul Jensen <christian at jul.net> wrote:

> I won't speak for the rest of the world, but

> real life, a U.S. business that would need to have several BE logins
> in TYPO3 will most likely have Exchange.

And probably the same in denmark and rest of europe. But in my pov it still
doesn't make it the job of the TYPO3 community to provide tools for it.

> (http://www.typo3.com/About.1231.0.html). And yes, I do know how many
> people run legitimate software, which happens to be around 78% for
> U.S. -

Impressive, I didn't read enough to know how the survey was made, but I
would be very suprised if is true that only 26% of the danes that own a
computer has unlicensed software installed.

>> I dont agree that you can deduct that from my stmt.
>
> Yes you can. All of them are "connectors to a non-free software".

I know, I was talking about what you deduced from my pov.

> I agree. What I disagree with is emphasis on "free" in the set of
> these goals, at the expense of "excellent" and "innovative".

Well, right now the discussion is on the free part, but of course they are
equally important. That said, I don't find a an exchange connector very
innovative.

> He shouldn't. However, if he has already decided to donate his time
> for greater good (and not just helping some corporate leeches that
> never give anything in return), to me greater good is larger number of
> people who can use the results of this work, even if these people
> happen to use a Microsoft product.

I think it is great to create something that benefits a lot of people (and a
worthy cause), but the people that have chosen to use a product that
refuses to exchange information in a well-documented format, obviously
looses some possibilities.

(disclaimer: I actually don't know for sure if this is the case with
outlook/exchange, but it is for sure with the rest of the office suite. If
it is possible to sync thorugh Ical or similar. great)

> While you may see your carma and higher status in TYPO3
> community as a return on investment of your resources, these are
> meaningless to me.

To me as well. but friendship, fun and the ideal of sharing resources for
mutual benefit is not.

> While you may get more business because of being
> associated with TYPO3, I can see cases when this is irrelevant (mine).

I probably do, yes, but I was thinking more about the fact that I get a
better product to base my business on, I guess this is also relevant for
you.

> That's not to say it's not fun, it is, but I don't mix "fun" and
> "investment" in the same sentence;) Let's agree to disagree.

Yep :)

> That's where your logic is broken (or, differs from mine, let's say;).
> You see writing an Exchange connector as "supporting non-free
> software". I see it as "helping people who happen to use TYPO3 and
> non-free software".

I think both is true. But as I said above, it is the choice of the people
who use it. Everybody knows Microsoft govern their position by keeping
their formats closed. Which is fine with me, as long as I don't have to buy
licenses from them to exchange information with people.

I think this is it for me, it's been fun to debate with you. And let me just
say that I'm not against closed source and licenses, I would just like to
put my efforts into something that is free for everybody to use, not just
to a specific crowd of people, however big it may be.

Have a nice weekend.

--
- Christian Jul Jensen

TYPO3 core developer (http://TYPO3.org)