[TYPO3-dev] EM, TER2, XML and other animals

Dimitri Tarassenko mitka at mitka.us
Sat May 6 06:29:58 CEST 2006

Martin,

On 5/4/06, Martin Kutschker <Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net> wrote:
> Ries van Twisk schrieb:
> >
> > Actually I don't understand why we need to fetch the complete XML at all???
>
> claim 1)
>
> > What is wrong with sending a query to TER and fetch the result in XML.
>
> claim 2)
>
> How does this fit together? In 1 you say, you don't want to get the XML, in
> 2 ask for XML. I'm confused.

Note the word "complete" in 1. 2 merely suggests XML as a transport
for requests/replies, (I think what Ries meant was either XML-RPC or
SOAP).

> > That XML can be parsed quickly with no big memery requirements and
> > displayed.
>
> It seems it doesn't. The XML data TER sends doesn't work on all servers.
> That's why we have this (and other) thread(s).

Only because it's so huge compared to memory limits. When I cut 2/3rds
of extensions off from the list, 1&1 shared hosting worked just fine.

But in a way you are right because there really is no reason for TER
to speak to EM via XML if it's a file download.

--
Dimitri Tarassenko