[TYPO3-dev] TER troubles again

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Thu Jun 29 18:57:37 CEST 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote:

> I'm really disappinted that currently no visible work is put into
> typo3.org or TER2. The association has collected money. Please spend it
> to fix TER. TER is a vital part of the community. It *IS* important that
> it works flawless.

I committed a large update to the TER FE a few weeks ago but it has not
been deployed until now because Robert was on honeymoon and nobody else
could do it. The reason for all the trouble with TER and typo3.org is
that we're blatantly understaffed, basically a handful of people is in
charge of every- and anything. While this situation has improved in the
core team, all the other teams are still seriously lacking support.

I guess this is in part the failure of the community which seems to be
less willing to actually help than in other software projects, but also
(my guess) in part the fault of the TYPO3 leadership that is busy with
planning and building crazy amounts of teams most of which never get the
job done. If you read Kasper's article in the current t3n mag, you'll
see my point. Robert proposed a team structure for typo3.org some time
ago, with virtually no response. On the other hand, applications for
teams are not processed because there are no responsibilities for that.

I know this has been proposed before, but since team-building does not
seem to work out, how about a real job board where specific tasks are
available to interested people. not teams. We need at least

- a typo3.org general editor who makes sure there are news and articles
posted more often than once a year, who rearranges content, deletes old
stuff, etc.
- a TER administrator who maintains the code as well as the installation
- a documentation admin who does the above for documentation

I could go on...

The point is that none of the jobs takes more than a few hours a week,
but they should be done by people who are *not* simultanously in the
core, R&D, bug fixing and whatnot team.

Okay, I ranted as well...

Cheers,
Michael