[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 and Oracle

R. van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Wed Jun 28 14:31:28 CEST 2006

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
>> What if we drop the NOT NULL but enforce a DEFAULT even if none is
>> specified? So we don't have the ''/NULL ambiguity in Oracle but
>> effecitvely have no NULL values in the DB.
>>

> This is the best solution. Looks like it covers all cases. According to
> standard, DB must insert explicit default value if none is specified in
> INSERT/UPDATE query. Since we do not insert NULLs explicitely, we are safe.

I think this is not true, PHP is perfectly capably of inserting a NULL
into any database.
However when that happens I want to get notified of that situation,
since then I know
I do something wrong. Dropping teh NOT NULL constrain is very bad.

If we do then then we also go back to the mysql 3.x age where a database
was considered
a flat file system and all checking must be done in the application later.

Dropping the NOT NULL during importing of tables into the RDBM is a bad
thing,
why was this not discussed on typo3-dev? Or should I subscribe to a other
mailing list?

Ries