[TYPO3-dev] BLOBs considered harmful

R. van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Wed Jun 28 14:19:26 CEST 2006

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
>> Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
>>
>>> This is Oracle's problem (incompatibility with SQL standard).
>>>
>> Haha! Sorry Dmitry, there is no DB that implements the complete
>> standard. And especially Mysql wasn't compatible at all only (more or
>> less) recent versions are better.
>>

> You are right of course :) The difference between mysql and Oracle is
> that mysql's iolations f standard usually are not harmful. But Oracle's
> are harmful! Compare implicit default values with ''==NULL. What is worse?
>

>> The customer is king. I'm trying to sell them TYPO3 not Mysql. So I'm
>> going to make TYPO3 run ony "any" system he wants.
>>

> Right ("customer" part) but is it worth? If something goes wrong later,
> you may have to fix it again and again. May be customer can be convinced
> to use mysql?

Yes it's worth it, simply because thanks to our customers we can eat
everyday.
Most of my customers are technical enough to make this decision
perfectly and the
understand the problems of mysql very well. By default I install mysql,
on request anything else. It's our bread!!!!!!!!!

>> And there is a reason to stick to the tools you are used to and have the
>> knowledge and resources.
>>

> Also true... But I am not sure that they need a special man to handle
> mysql server that typo3 uses. They are not going to alter anything
> manually there, are they?

They need to know and don't like black boxes in there organization. They
also need
to setup rescue procedures for this application to restore databases and
they also
need to create backup procedures, specially for MySQL. So sometimes it
can cause
a lot of extra problems for the customer. We are not talking about the
bakery
around the corner that wants a website.....

Dmitry.