[TYPO3-dev] BLOBs considered harmful

R. van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Wed Jun 28 14:11:21 CEST 2006

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately this is no easily portable. Eg in Oracle you cannot easily
>> fetch data from a BLOB (but you can from a CBLOB).
>>

> This is Oracle's problem (incompatibility with SQL standard). There are
> many of such problems in Oracle (for example, index names must be unique
> within whole table space though SQL standard says they mustbe unique
> within table definition),
I think that postgresql does something simular, but really easy to solve
actually.
Simply prefix the table name before or after the index. Something in the
line like that.....
I think this is the way how indexes are stored.
> which makes it very bad database. MSSQL is a
> bit better but it has terrible problems with concurrent inserts and page
> locks.
>
> Why cannot you use mysql? Customer's wish for Oracle? Try to convince
> them for mysql.

Since customers request other database systems then mysql. My customer
really want to use PostgreSQL
in the feature, and is going to pay me for making that happen and I need
to check out what problems we will get.
And what migration path to follow.

Specially they want to move away from myisam storage type, there is no
trust in myisam.
And I for myself have had a couple of currupted tables (specially cache
tables, easy to re-build)
and on my own site problems with my isam.

>> So I suggest TYPO3 switches from Mysql type BLOB to TEXT. So other DBs
>> are not tricked into BLOBs unless really necessary.
>>

> It would be much better if we use use TEXT for textual data. +1.

+1, I do it for myself already

Ries