[TYPO3-dev] BLOBs considered harmful

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at accio.lv
Wed Jun 28 08:32:37 CEST 2006

Hi!

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Unfortunately this is no easily portable. Eg in Oracle you cannot easily
> fetch data from a BLOB (but you can from a CBLOB).

This is Oracle's problem (incompatibility with SQL standard). There are
many of such problems in Oracle (for example, index names must be unique
within whole table space though SQL standard says they mustbe unique
within table definition), which makes it very bad database. MSSQL is a
bit better but it has terrible problems with concurrent inserts and page
locks.

Why cannot you use mysql? Customer's wish for Oracle? Try to convince
them for mysql.

> So I suggest TYPO3 switches from Mysql type BLOB to TEXT. So other DBs
> are not tricked into BLOBs unless really necessary.

It would be much better if we use use TEXT for textual data. +1.

Dmitry.