[TYPO3-dev] BLOBs considered harmful

R. van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Tue Jun 27 21:51:21 CEST 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In retrospect I think that TYPO3 uses BLOBs to store ordinary character
> data was a bad decion. I guess the only reason for this was that phpMyAdmin
> hides those fields abusing this featire as a kind of pseudo protection
> (from an admin!?!?).
>
> Unfortunately this is no easily portable. Eg in Oracle you cannot easily
> fetch data from a BLOB (but you can from a CBLOB).
>
> So I suggest TYPO3 switches from Mysql type BLOB to TEXT. So other DBs are
> not tricked into BLOBs unless really necessary.
>
> Masi

+1

In my adventures to port to postgresql, I also came across to problems.
With PostgreSQL i came across problems with field names reserved
in postgresql and not in mysql.

Martin, moving away from the sql files and using a XML scheme used
in adoDB, do you feel  that that might porting to other RDBM systems easer?

Ries