[TYPO3-dev] BLOBs considered harmful

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Tue Jun 27 19:40:49 CEST 2006

Hi!

In retrospect I think that TYPO3 uses BLOBs to store ordinary character
data was a bad decion. I guess the only reason for this was that phpMyAdmin
hides those fields abusing this featire as a kind of pseudo protection
(from an admin!?!?).

Unfortunately this is no easily portable. Eg in Oracle you cannot easily
fetch data from a BLOB (but you can from a CBLOB).

So I suggest TYPO3 switches from Mysql type BLOB to TEXT. So other DBs are
not tricked into BLOBs unless really necessary.

Masi