[TYPO3-dev] AJAX and TYPO3 - just a quick fix?!

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Sun Jun 18 19:41:48 CEST 2006

Hey Dan,

are you using the eID method provided with typo3 version 4?
On demo extension by kasper (whiteboard) is doing that.

Using that you can do 'Ajax' calls to a extension and get information back.
in the called php file you can decide what parts of typo3 core you need
or not.

In typo3 3.8.x I did the same but I used a dispatcher to dispatch
various Ajax calls
using a registration method. So the dispatcher knew what to load to
minimize total
but moving over to the eID
method because it seems to be typo3 standard and performs ok.

Rie

> I am currently implementing an AJAX-based frontend
> editing system for TYPO3 which reads in the TCA
> and delivers the forms over AJAX.
>
> It is become very clear to me that, even with
> AJAX, TYPO3's "load everything" architecture is
> making this very slow.
>
> I understand V4 has an AJAX-dropdown menu in the
> backend and I've tested this and, to me, the speed
> is not "AJAX" speed - it's AJAX+TYPO3 speed. It's
> slow!
>
> We've been developing lots of AJAX applications
> recently and oner rule of thumb that seems to have
> emerged in our work is that the AJAX server should
> be small - it should deal with just a few specific
> things and shouldn't load into memory masses of
> junk. If you start loading loads of junk into
> memory, the AJAX server becomes slow and then the
> AJAX experience is slow.
>
> I would suggest that version 5 should look to a
> lazy-loading architecture first and then a much
> more trimmed down core. This is already one of the
> goals - so I'm just adding support to this.
>
> Lastly, to show how AJAX becomes pointless with a
> heavy, slow-loading architecture: suppose you have
> a page which has 2 AJAX requests on. If both of
> those AJAX requests are handled by an AJAX server
> which has as 400% TYPO3 overhead (say 1 second,
> instead of 1/4 second) then the page is delivered
> with 800% overhead. If the page had been delivered
> in the traditional, non-AJAX way then performance
> would actually be better.
>
> In summary: AJAX is not a good idea for improving
> performance if the AJAX server is still
> bloat-ware. Start were the problem is - the bloat!
>
> Regards,
> dan

Ries van Twisk
Freelance Typo3 Developer