[TYPO3-dev] which naming scheme for a CSS XHTML id

Robert Markula robert.markula at gmx.net
Thu Jun 8 22:27:26 CEST 2006

Hi Christopher!

Christopher wrote:
[...]
> Can you provide a little bit more information about how the ids will
> be used? It's hard to suggest a best practice without knowing a little
> more about what you're trying to achieve. Will the ids be used just on
> form controls for accessibility reasons? Or is the intent to use them
> on many elements for css styling?

Unique ID's are needed for the correct mapping of labels to the
corresponding fields. That's currently all.

[...]
> 1. Any given record already _has_ a uniqe id in the database, so why
> not use that number in any required ids instead of a new numbering
> system?

No problem. Since the only use I can currently think of (and currently
need) is that a label can be clearly assigned to a specific field, the
naming scheme is not important. The only important thing is that the id
is unique.
But maybe there is another use of unique id's that would benefit from a
specific naming scheme, that's why I asked for opinions in the
tt_products newsgroup.

> 2. It may be worthwhile to make the id format TS-configurable

Can you think of other uses for unique id's?

Cheers,
Ro