[TYPO3-dev] RFC as tool to concept branch 5.x

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Wed Jun 7 14:06:38 CEST 2006

Hi Guys,

I think its a fantastic discussion you are having now :-)

I like Elmars perspectives in general (although the tone is slightly
harsh at times): He has in my eyes done well with the ECT and to me
it looks like a promising way to go. For those of you who think the
ECT has talked too much and implemented too little: Yes, that is not
in the typical TYPO3 spirit, but even I have realized that we must
accommodate more design work before implementation. For a great step
like 5.0 it surely is the place to start to have a lasting architecture.

Also, another very very important point is that the technical design
(architecture) should be cooperatively defined and many developers
should be enthusiastic about it. Only then will we have the
motivation to implement it and do so without depending on single
individuals too much. And what does that mean? It means that I want
5.0 to depend on many of _YOU_ to become active developers of various
components!

As a suggestion for TEP/RFC I find Mr. Pötzingers list great:

> Maybe it would work in this order:
>
> 1. Discussions / Initialisation:
>    *Maillinglist*
>
> 2. Initial RFC creation (Based on a common template...)
>    *Wiki*
>
> 3. Review / Changes / Add Pictures and Modellimages (UML)
>    *in the Wiki*
>
> 4. Create final RFC
>    *as pdf* and published on typo3.org
>
> 5 Developing in a team
>   teamspecifiy coordination

It shows a way to crystalize an idea from the anarchistic mailing
lists to a RFC for those ideas which are good enough. Also, requiring
an idea to be well defined (as RFC or TEP or whatever is adequate)
will work as a filter for serious suggestions.

I will bring this thread to the attension of the R&D group. Remember;
my initial question was how the process of involving the community
could look. And I think you are giving nice answers now...

- kasper

"A contribution a day keeps the fork away"
kasper2006 at typo3.com | +45 20 999 115 | skype: kasperskaarhoej |
gizmo: kasper_typo3