[TYPO3-dev] RFC as tool to concept branch 5.x

Martin Schoenbeck ms.usenet.nospam at schoenbeck.de
Fri Jun 2 14:34:44 CEST 2006

Hi Elmar,

Elmar Hinz schrieb:

> Hello Martin,
>
> Martin Schoenbeck wrote:
>> Which way do you propose for discussing the proposals? If I take newsgroup
>> as a synonym at least here, I can't imagine a better way, to discuss the
>> RFCs.
>>

> As you can read above, I propse the combination: RFC + Wiki + NG.
>
> (Well, read it. If you ask matters I have already written, it shows absence
> of discipline from your side. From you, who want's to organize NG by
> discipline :-) )

Maybe I missed something you wrote, but I don't know why you always have to
add this personal attitude anytime somebody doesn't agree.

> RFC documents alone are to stiff. NG alone is very hasty in a big
> community.

If the threads are clearly marked for discussion of a given topic, chances
are good, to have interested people only in this thread.

> Even wiki tends to chaos, if there is not a person feeling
> responsible for a topic. It's good when a topic is maintained by someone
> who signs responsible for a period.

Of course. The RFC itself has to be maintained by only one person. But
that's no problem even with a wiki.

>> It doesn't even need a new mailinglist / newsgroup, but only disciplined
>> use of the designated threads.
>>

> That is the point. You need to "orginze" extreme discipline to maintain a
> topic over a long term in a NG. We speek of monthes maybe years for TYPO3
> branch 5.x.

But you don't have to discuss it in one big thread. Anytime the discussion
creates results, they should be integrated into a new version of the RFC
and a new thread started discussing _this_ version. Of course some people
will continue parts of the discussion which have not led to a result in the
old threads, and if they later introduce this in a newer thread it will at
least be 'sorted out' a little bit more than in the first try.

> So:
>
> Shortterm brainstorming and discussion => NG, Wiki
> longterm maintanance => RFC, Wiki, *implementation*

Agreed. Or to take the TYPO3 approach: +1 with a strong mark on the NG for
the first point.

Martin
--
Bitte nicht an der E-Mail-Adresse fummeln, die paßt so.