[TYPO3-dev] ext_typoscript_setup.txt

Tue Jul 25 17:04:12 CEST 2006

Hi Ernesto,

> The problem here is also usability and the way newbies feel when using
> TYPO3. They want to install an extension and see it working
> ("plug-and-play") without further fiddling and I can understand the
> frustation when it doesn't.

If it is handled in a unique way, even the newby will understand the
principle quickly. As everynewby installs tt_news everynewby will learn it
anyway. :-)

> This would require some kind of default setup for each plugin that is
> installed, which is what ext_typoscript_*.txt already does. So I'm not
> totally against it, but it has to be strictly specified what exactly is
> meant to go into ext_typoscript_*.txt and documented how custom
> configurations can be loaded by experienced users "on demand".
>
> Maybe the best would be an option for an experienced admin to deactivate
> ext_typoscript_*.txt files altogether and work just with static templates.

Well, that goes to the core team.  :-)

> Regarding addPItoST43 I would say that just the name is misleading. Its
> functionality has nothing to do with a template "43". Every content
> rendering extension should just provide the same interface as content
> (default) (the "original" template 43). css_styled_content has always
> been doing that already. Doing that, it will be able to render all

In 3.8 a core hack was necessary to assign another template into the
functionality of original 43. There was a special core hack in it for
css_styled_content. Has this changed with 4.0? I didn't hear anything of that.

As long as you would need to hack the core to make your rendering extension
work with addPItoST43, the tt_news way to add templates is the solution.

And if that will ever fixed in there should by an alternative name
available for the function. Anyway using a TS template to set TS looks more
transperent and intuitive to me than using a PHP-Function to generate TS.

> Elmar also wrote:
>
>> 1.) Look into the leading extension tt_news. I think it shows the modern
>> way how to include TS.
>
> The "tt_news" example is really a bad example here, because it's support
> has always been included in the in core (hardcoded). Which is why it
> doesn't need to call addTypoScript or addPItoST43. Then every content
> rendering needs to make special setup (like content (default) and also
> css_styled_content) just to make tt_news also gets called. I don't think
> this is the solution. :)

I think your argumentation is to complicated here. My extensions are not
specially supported by the core and they work fine with this technic. Just
like Stefan has describied it earlier in the thread. All I need is one

t3lib_extMgm::addStaticFile($_EXTKEY,"pi1/static/","Some Label");

in ext_tables.php. The rest is in the TS template in the usual TS way,
transparent and under full controll of the TS developer.

Regards

Elmar