[TYPO3-dev] What a wonderful collection of extensions...

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Wed Jul 19 18:14:35 CEST 2006

Andreas Balzer schrieb:
> Jan-Hendrik Heuing [DD] schrieb:
>
>>... you always have the chance to choose between a couple of the same kind
>>to make sure it is REALLY what you were looking for.
>>
>>Just looking at the startpage, seeing 2 new tagcloud extensions, I really
>>like having a choice.
>>http://typo3.org/extensions/
>>
>>It would be a very dramatic situation if you'd have no choice, you would
>>have to stick to the same extension every time!
>
> Well, it's nice, that there are so many different exts doing the same.
> Yes.. You can choose..
>
> But i would prefer 1 ext doing everything, what the others do..
> It would be much more stable and easier to use and config..

Well, well, here we are again.

There will be only one high-quality extension for one task if someone pays
a developer for it.

There is IMHO only a chance to filter out a set of good extensions if there
are  enough volunteers to maintain a kind of meta distributions. A set of
checked and maintained (!) extensions for specific task. It is the
responsibility of the team to check the quality of the extensions regularly
and to incorporate good ideas from other extensions for the same task.

I'm strict against forced polcies on TER that forbid to uplaod any
extension I like. If I feel like writing another gallery I must be able to
do so and share my code. Locking out developers won't help.

Masi