[TYPO3-dev] new extension: vx_xajax_shoutbox

Tue Jul 18 19:20:39 CEST 2006

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> This is pretty inefficient and should not be the recommended way of
> calling the XML-responder. TYPO3 has to potentially load all other
> plugins that are running on your page and maybe even render content
> objects and the whole page, just so that you just throw that away when
> you call processRequests(), which stops the whole process.

Potentially is right. It depends on if there are other USER_INT in the page
and if they occure before xajax-plugin sends the response and exits. I
usually have not so much on one page but we know that there are some sites
that use a lot of dynamic extensions on one page.

We preferred the solution, wich looked the easiest way, to the solution
with the configuration of different page types. We wanted to get people
started as easy as possible.

Really heavy dynamic sites should decide for the eID way. (Hmm why eiD?
Couldn't they call a second address for the XML pump?  ... And why again
such a kryptic name? eiD!)

The solution you propose could be the golden way in the middle. Not as fast
as eiD, but much lesser work. A little more to configure than the
xajax_tutor suggestion, but no risk of unnecessary loading of other dynamic
extensions and lesser potential conflicts with other xajax Extension within
the same page.

So,just checkout the tutor from SF and add your example. You find it in the
typo3xdev repository. Then we still need someone to add a good example for
the eiD way ...

> And then you can even have your original plugin as an USER object, which
> isn't possible in the xajax_tutor way (because TYPO3 won't call your
> plugin, except if you set the no_cache parameter, which is even uglier,
> because TYPO3 will have to do even MORE stuff).

This statement tells the opposit to Thomas observation that it works even
as a USER Object. I hope he didn't set a no_cache parameter. I will check
that this week ...

Regards

Elmar