[TYPO3-dev] TER troubles again

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Sun Jul 2 19:33:47 CEST 2006

Elmar Hinz wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> so you propose to organize TYPO3 as a big orchestra while Kasper proposes
> it to work as a festival of little rock bands.

No no no, I have never questioned the fact that we need teams or
separation of work. I only asked whether we need teams complete with
infrastructure etc. from the start, or whether it would be better to
start with individual contributors, not teams.

To stay in your metaphor: Given you want to organise a great music
festival, and you have a limited number of musicians, is it better to say
a) we want to have X bands who each need at least N members, a practice
room, a set list and play songs from a fixed genre, risking that a lot
of the bands can never recruit a drummer or decide over the setlist

b) we want to have N songs from X genres, and we don't care whether
you're a solo singer or form a big-band as long as you get your song(s)
right. Of course, you risk that the festival is chaotic, but on the
other hand, less energy is wasted if you leave more freedom to the
musicians and bands.

I don't say one is better than the other, I'm just thinking aloud about
the possibilities.

> If Kasper delegates reasonable parts of the responsibility to new nodes, I
> am sure new teams will grow around the tasks. Only if the authority of the
> teams are motivating enough and if they are not to much splitted. In the
> result there will be more people integrated, if it  is done right and not
> too quickly.

Elmar, what you propose is exactly a bottom-up approach where
individuals take responsibility and teams grow around them, not the
other way around. Of course, Kasper is right when he says that the hard
part lies in figuring out *how* to split the tasks.

Greetings,
Michael

PS: I still maintain that the core team (=CVS committers) could easily
integrate more people. We have a steady growth and no obvious
coordination overhead, so I perceive it.