[TYPO3-dev] Browser-Condition and Mozilla Firefox

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Wed Feb 22 09:20:11 CET 2006

Hi folks,

I was wondering why "Mozilla" is not listed in the "browser" condition of
TSref. So I went to try it out and discovered that Firefox 1.0.4 will be
reported as "Netscape" with version "5".

This is caused by the following useragent information:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; de-DE; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050925
Firefox/1.0.4 (Debian package 1.0.4-2sarge5)

Well, I think it does make sense to distinguish between different FF
versions since there _are_ differences between some versions.

My first suggestion is to change the browserInfo method as follows:

This will still work and return true:
[browser = netscape] AND [version = 5.]

This is new, should be appended below the above condition in order to take
precedence:
[browser = firefox] AND [version = 1.]

The remaining question is: What should we do with Mozilla browsers (the
suite, which afaik is discontinued)?

I am not sure but think that the versions can be distinguished by the
"Gecko" version (date). So this lead me to a second suggestion:

Add a "gecko" as a valid "browser" condition, match if the date of the Gecko
engine is at least September 1st, 2005:
[browser = gecko] AND [version = >20050900]

Which is the way to go? Suggestions welcome.

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out