[TYPO3-dev] Questions relating new Typo3 4.0 beta3 skin

Kari Salovaara kari.salovaara at pp1.inet.fi
Sat Feb 18 20:35:32 CET 2006

Thomas Murphy wrote:
> Hello Kari,
>
> I'm sorry to hear that and hope this is an issue that just might be
> related to being used to the old skin, which means you will get used to
> the old skin.

It might be true as I've been working with Typo3 since 2001 !
But does it mean that I "bad" because I don't accept change which
have been designed for younger generations ?
> The contrast topic was always important in the overall design of the new
> skin, as it was a) one of the main reasons why the old skin looked a bit
> old-fashioned compared to a lot of other applications, especially in the
> web-environment but b) also one of the most appreciated things about the
> old skin by a lot of developers, who spent a lot of time in the backend.
> But when we compare the new skin to, let's say a word-processing
> application like Openoffice.org we also have a lot of white space which
> of course might be a bit stressing for the eyes, so I think the
> color-benefit of the old skin might just be a personal impression that
> will disappear once people get used to it.

OK, You are the doctor.  Do personal impressions vanish when other people
get used ?
> And generally, I think it is not very healthy to look on a computer
> screen for 18 hours, even if it's switched off.

Indeed it's not healthy at all to work using screens, but if it's your
work ... And I do it voluntarily for NGOs and voluntary institutions.
In Nordic countries we are used to work few hours more .. , maybe
the darks season ...

> There is no managing functionality in the skin yet, you are of course
> free to make any adjustments to the stylesheets in the extension yourself.
> I would recommend waiting with those changes til the release date of the
> Version 4.0, as we're going to change a lot in it til then.
>
> There are ideas on integrating something into the user settings, but
> nothing planned yet, afaik.

I hope You'll get implemented some day.

> You can use any of the other publicly available skins in the TER in
> Version 4.0.

Thanks, I solved the problem by doing personal application where I can
change all colors/fonts in all css files for skin.

> bye,
> Thomas

Bye and have a nice weekend. I still continue to ... ;-)

Cheers,
Kari

--
Kari Salovaara