[TYPO3-dev] Broken/missing (sym)links causing trouble

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Fri Feb 17 14:16:43 CET 2006

Hi All, Kari,

I forgot to integrate a few smilies here, sorry. My mail was not
meant as an attack on Kari. I tried to explain, create some
perspective - and defend those hardworking core developers who are my
most precious asset in the community at the moment. I took no
personal offense.

My reply is factual based on my super-perspective as chief developer.
I would however like to excuse the use of the word "narrowsighted"
which was not necessary in the context. Please ignore that.

An as a wrote: It was just a "little candle", not a big flame.

Then I looked at what Kari wrote about symlinks:

> I vote for 4.5 earliest to take symlinks away. This gives some
> time resources to prepare for the change. This is my personal
> wish due I'm working totally on voluntary basis for all sites I'm
> maintaining and I should do also my research work without
> putting all my resources for measures which don't benefit
> my goals in more important issues.

To me it looks like if Kari has misunderstood what has happened, so
let me explain it again:

TYPO3 has two types of symlinks known to most people:
- Internal symlinks inside the core itself (some you don't define by
yourself)
- External symlink which links the core directory to multiple
installations (some you create yourself)

The change regards ONLY the internal symlinks: Now, the core has been
changed so these internal symlinks are not _needed_ anymore.

Incompatibilities you can expect:
a) Bugs in the core where we didn't fix it properly. Most are already
found and done with. Full compliance expected for 4.0 Release.
b) Bugs in extensions which are not yet compatible with the new
situation. We depend on extension authors to fix this.

_ALL_ incompatibilities of this change can be avoided simply by
adding the internal symlinks again yourself!

So, eventually Kari should not have any trouble except adding a few
symlinks between t3lib/, tslib/, gfx/, thumb.php etc. (see old
create_symlink.sh script or document) internally - and everything
will work find for him!

I really think its a misunderstanding, Kari.

- kasper