[TYPO3-dev] Removing symlinks in V 4.0

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at fm-world.ru
Mon Feb 13 10:27:13 CET 2006

Hi!

Mathias Schreiber wrote:
> Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
>> - Apache is free. This is a huge advantage. You need a very expensive
>> Windows Server to run MS IIS with more than 10 connections and need
>> licenses for connections. you need a free Linux and free apache for
>> unlimited connections. In my opinion this is the most important reason
>> for large hosting providers
>
> We are not talking "anybodys" website here, we are talking enterprise.
> Money does not matter.

Not really.

> Those clients pay 100 bucks per user for ALL software.

...and still many of the cut down costs for this software.

> IIS has one VERY important thing:
> Transparent authentification against windows domains without any hassle.
> This is one of the main reasons why IIS is used.

True. But do you need this for typo3?

> Linux is just the same big security hole unless you make it safe. So this
> does not go in the same pot.

I do not remember anything close to Nimda virus but for Apache.

> Linux is a nice server OS (desktop maybe too, but I am not able to get my
> graphic card on my notebook running without reading 10 howTos...) but it is
> much easier to tame a network with 30.000 users worldwide on windows.

Absolutely agree. I also had troubles setting up Linux. But I think it
does very well given the way how it is developed (for free). I like
comfort and therefore used Windows all the time (tried Mandrake two
times and thrown it away). But recently I discovered that SuSE (Novel)
Linux 10.0 much better suites my needs than Winxows XP (I can tell why).
I have a lot of legal software for XP, legal version of XP, etc. But I
switched to SuSE two weeks ago and very happy with it. I doubt I will
use Windows again at home.

You are right that it is easier to setup Windows network for many users.
But why? The reason is that desktop linuxes only started to appear. I
think it will take a little time for them to come into full power. I
feared to use Linux because I did not knew how I will edit images, burn
CDs, use ICQ, etc. I remember how I had to install all these things on
Windows and was feared that I will have to search for all this software
for Linix. But when I installed SuSE, I discovered that I do not need to
search at all: it is all there already!

And I am so happy that I consider buying a box with SuSE. I do not
really need it because I have downloaded DVD. But I want support those
guys, I want to thank them for the great job. This is why I am going to
buy a box. They did better than Microsoft this time. they should be
rewarded.

Dmitry.

P.S. So sad that I have to use Windows at work :(