[TYPO3-dev] Removing symlinks in V 4.0

Mathias Schreiber mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Mon Feb 13 10:04:25 CET 2006

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> - Apache is free. This is a huge advantage. You need a very expensive
> Windows Server to run MS IIS with more than 10 connections and need
> licenses for connections. you need a free Linux and free apache for
> unlimited connections. In my opinion this is the most important reason
> for large hosting providers

We are not talking "anybodys" website here, we are talking enterprise.
Money does not matter.
Those clients pay 100 bucks per user for ALL software.

> - MS IIS has (or had?) much less possibilities than Apache. Apache
> modules are just great (and free!) while MS IIS extensions are rare
> and limited (and usually costly)

IIS has one VERY important thing:
Transparent authentification against windows domains without any hassle.
This is one of the main reasons why IIS is used.

> - MS IIS has a bad reputation of being a major security hole in the
> system

Linux is just the same big security hole unless you make it safe. So this
does not go in the same pot.

> I am not agains Windows, bill Gates or MS IIS. Windows is good and
> user friendly. But Windows+IIS will not win against Linux+Apache in
> the nearest years.

Within the "oh-my-god, I gotta pay 10 bucks" market no.
Within the "we don't buy server hardare under 20.000 Euros" market yes.
One thing I suggest to the Linux front (NOTE: this is NO harsh comment but
merely an honest tip):
There is more than your eyes see :)
Thus, this whole OS War (now it's a webserver war) is always based on te
same problems.
Linux is a nice server OS (desktop maybe too, but I am not able to get my
graphic card on my notebook running without reading 10 howTos...) but it is
much easier to tame a network with 30.000 users worldwide on windows.