[TYPO3-dev] Removing symlinks in V 4.0

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Mon Feb 13 09:11:10 CET 2006

Hi Patrick,

>> This is something I will probably never understand: They run their
>> webserver on Windows because of some funny policies and because it is
>> "easier to maintain" (yes, some people think so).
>
> I just think you don't want to understand...  ;)

Probably :-)

> Why an organization running Windows NT (circa 1996) and having put money
> and time on training would change to Linux? Remember the old "No one was
> ever fired for choosing IBM or Oracle" and then you have some answers...
>
> Don't try to make me change my mind, I don't have to take those
> decisions... I just live in reality.

I do, and I'm not trying to convince you. But I think you missed my point:
The simplicity of an operating system is insignificant if your main
components (A/M/P) are to be configured equally like on a Unix system: With
plain-text configuration files. So since it makes no difference: What is
the reason for not running it on the system where these programs were
intended for?

(Or do you run your TYPO3 websites with IIS??)

This brings me to the idea: Why don't you run such a webserver with coLinux?
The host will still be Windows, but you will have full LAMP power instead
of a broken WAMP tinker thing... ;-)

> The horror.  ;)
> But seriously Stucki, no more ZIP packages !
> Is this nice enough for you ?  :)

Didn't think about this yet, but I think we still need both. We'll see...

>> If "we" = Windows webservers, then you should have a close look at the
>> Netcraft statistics from time to time...
>
> Netcraft, where john-doh.com has the same weight as Intel.com or
> pepsico.com.

Yes, because it considers ALL webservers.

> I think Netcraft is a good tool for popularity and Slashdot lovers but
> at the same time it has some limits.
>
> Has of May 2005, IIS was possibly (yes I take it also with a grain of
> salt) 57% in the Fortune 1000 web market.

What could be the reason that Apache has the majority of the big webhosters
on its side? Are you sure that it's only the license prize?

> Patrick (working in a Microsoft shop...with 4000 users)

- michael (not working in that shop)
--
Use a newsreader! Check out