[TYPO3-dev] Removing symlinks in V 4.0

Patrick Gaumond patrick at typo3quebec.org
Mon Feb 13 02:52:11 CET 2006

Michael Stucki wrote:

> This is something I will probably never understand: They run their webserver
> on Windows because of some funny policies and because it is "easier to
> maintain" (yes, some people think so).

I just think you don't want to understand...  ;)
Why an organization running Windows NT (circa 1996) and having put money
and time on training would change to Linux? Remember the old "No one was
ever fired for choosing IBM or Oracle" and then you have some answers...

Don't try to make me change my mind, I don't have to take those
decisions... I just live in reality.

>> Reality Newsflash: (Mathias)
>> The bigger TYPO3 gets, the more we will have to deal with windows
>> installations.
>> And I definetely think that if we have the chance to make windows admins
>> live with TYPO3 easier NOW without making Linux admins live harder, we
>> have the resposibility to do so NOW.

I can imagine that part of the appeal for DBAL was also made by some
companies running Oracle on Windows or MSSQLserver...

 > So please don't make any announcements that development of TYPO3 4.0
> has been focused to become "Ready-for-Windows" or so... :-)

The horror.  ;)
But seriously Stucki, no more ZIP packages !
Is this nice enough for you ?  :)

>> Every day that passes, our advantage over crappy stuff is getting smaller.
>> Why? We lead - they follow.
>
> If "we" = Windows webservers, then you should have a close look at the
> Netcraft statistics from time to time...

Netcraft, where john-doh.com has the same weight as Intel.com or
pepsico.com.

I think Netcraft is a good tool for popularity and Slashdot lovers but
at the same time it has some limits.

Has of May 2005, IIS was possibly (yes I take it also with a grain of
salt) 57% in the Fortune 1000 web market.

Source (yes I know that obfuscation is easy on Apache):
http://www.port80software.com/surveys/top1000webservers/

Patrick (working in a Microsoft shop...with 4000 users)