[TYPO3-dev] Removing symlinks in V 4.0

Fri Feb 10 18:39:45 CET 2006

René Fritz schrieb:
> Hi everybody
>
> The core developers discussed today the possibility to change TYPO3 that
> symlinks are no longer needed. The advantage is that installation is much
> simpler, especially when people have a ftp account only.

[...]

> And that's the point. I'm sure there are extensions out there which will break
> because they use hardcoded references. But the good thing is when you use
> symlinks again everything works like before.
>
> What do you think?

Hello Rene,

For the seriousity of TYPO3 I find extensions that suddenly don't work any more
a big problem. Working with symlinks isn't pretty, but not a real problem. I
could accept such an hard step, if it would be the only way to go.

I think there are weaker ways of transition.

I propose this roadmap:

1.) Announce the switch for 5.0.
2.) Provide a function that generates the right pathes under both situations.
3.) Exgt-Develpers have time until 5.0 to replace hard coded pathes with this
function.
4.) For 4.5 provide the possibility to switch symlinking off.
5.) For 5.0 provide the possibility to switch symlinking on.

Regards

Elmar