[TYPO3-dev] Removing symlinks in V 4.0

René Fritz r.fritz at colorcube.de
Fri Feb 10 17:46:01 CET 2006

Hi everybody

The core developers discussed today the possibility to change TYPO3 that
symlinks are no longer needed. The advantage is that installation is much
simpler, especially when people have a ftp account only.

I'm already working on a transition and have a site running without symlinks.
Only a few things needs to be fixed. In fact the whole backend worked already
(except the icons) after changing one code line .

The main changes are:

- t3lib/gfx/ will be moved to typo3/gfx/
99% of the icons are used by the BE only

- typo3/t3lib/ will be removed

- gfx/fileicons/ will be copied to tslib/media/ for FE usage

- new index.php for FE which include typo3/sysext/cms/tslib/index_ts.php
- new showpic.php for FE which include typo3/sysext/cms/tslib/showpic.php

All works fine if you use in your extensions:
$BACK_PATH.'gfx/...'
PATH_tslib

instead of
$BACK_PATH.'t3lib/gfx/...'
PATH_site.'tslib/...'

And that's the point. I'm sure there are extensions out there which will break
because they use hardcoded references. But the good thing is when you use
symlinks again everything works like before.

What do you think?

@Kasper: please comment

René

--