[TYPO3-dev] HTMLArea and IE7beta

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Thu Feb 2 15:29:35 CET 2006

Hello Troels,

> Is anyone else expiriencing problems with the new default typo3
> HTMLArea based editor? - It goes completely dead in our new Internet
> Explorer 7 Beta2.
>
> It might pose a problem for typo3 to introduce a new default editor,
> which doesn´t work in IE7b2 - a lot of users still clings to IE as
> their default browser and probably will in the future. - A CMS which
> isn´t compatible won´t stand many chances for widespread success.
> Maybe it´s just a beta issue with IE7, but do we dare to gamble on it?
>
> We tested the original HTMLArea on
> http://www.leandergroup.com/htmlArea/default.shtm where it´s all dead
> too.
>
> It appears that newer editors such as TinyMCE doesn´t have the same
> problems with IE7b2 - check out:
> http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/example_full.php?example=true - where
> Tiny seems to run fine.
>
> What to do about this? - try to fix typo3 version of HTMLArea or
> switch to tinyMCE as new default editor?
>
> regards

A lot of sources report about errors in IE7b2. Particular IE7b2's handling
of JavaScript can produce errors, or functionality regarding on Javascript
doesn't work. Nobody know yet if it's an error in IE7b2, or if IE7b2 is less
forgiven with errors in JavaScript code. I know about three Norwegian sites
who has problem with their publishing systems with IE7b2. They don't use
HTMLArea as Editor, but their own solutions.

Debbuging of the code in HTMLArea could give an answer.

But a beta version shouldn't been used in a production enviroment, and customers
should be adviced not to use beta versions in normal use. There are a lot
of other risks in using beta versions, and some users also report problems
in deinstalling.

I can also tell that HTMLArea 3.0 from www.dynarch.com works partial in IE7b2.

WBR,
Erik Svendsen