[TYPO3-dev] captcha

Zorik zorik2005 at zorik.net
Thu Dec 14 16:36:01 CET 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote:

> Zorik schrieb:
>>>And so? AFAIK spammers don't care about laws. There are anti spam laws in
>>>many countries yet they still send spam.
>>

>> See, that's about "discrimination". :)
>> Using captcha is equal to saying "all bots are spammers".
>
> Well, can you give me an example where a form submit by a bot makes sense
> to me as the site owner? Legal or not, why should I want that?
>
> Spidering is fine, after all I want to be in Google, etc. But no, form as
> for humans.

1. Site submittal to directories (general and targeted), sending requests
for crawlers to index your site - example of form submission automation for
webmaster
2. Learning user preferences and providing related content (used at google,
amazon, ebay, etc.) or managing a knowledge base - AI example
3. Monitoring servers and services on the server, notification of events,
handling malfunctions - automation + AI
4. Signup process for a hosting account, verifying payment, configuring
server, notifying user - scenario where state base OO programming can be
applied
5. use your imagination

BTW, email is based on bots -
MTA = Mail Transfer Agent

>> The only solution which could totally prevent spambots - is visitor
>> identification.
>
> This would solve quite a number of issues as well, but there are reasons
> you might not want identification for everything.
>
>> All the "technology tricks" are good for postponing the spambot, but not
>> preventing. You may sleep well for couple of days, but as soon as the
>> trick becomes widely used and known - it will be broken (actually, same
>> applies to network security).
>
> I'm quite peacfully, but I wonÄt mind if somebody would beat them up or
> even kill them. Spammers are scum. Sorrym, but my patience with these
> individuals has gone away. To me they are outside of humanity just as
> theit bots ;-)

"Spammers are scum" - I fully agree with you and support you on this.

--
Zorik